◼ Download the Full 2017 Design in Tech Report (3Mb)
◼ Listen to the 2017 Design in Tech Report on SoundCloud (1hr)
◼ Watch the Full 2017 Design in Tech Report on Vimeo (1hr)
◼ NEW 科技中的设计报告 2017 (4.5Mb)
Key Observations this year:
- Design isn’t just about beauty; it’s about market relevance and meaningful results.
- At top business schools, design thinking is moving into the curriculum — driven by market demand.
- Both McKinsey & Co and IBM have recently made appointments at their most senior levels for designers.
- Adopting an inclusive design approach expands a tech product’s total addressable market.
- Computational designers remain in demand at technology companies of all sizes and maturity levels.
- Chinese design in tech principles and practices are leading the world, but are often overlooked.
- Design tool companies and design community platforms occupy new positions of value for tech.
- Voice- and chat-based interfaces are grounded in mental models that don’t require a visual representation.
VentureBeat’s Ken Yeung frames the new 2017 report in his related piece asking, “The tech industry needs more designers — are hybrid designer-developers the answer?”
Fast Company’s Katherine Schwab highlights the value of writing in the design process asserting, “Forget coding: writing is design’s unicorn skill.”
WIRED’s Liz Stinson posits, “When ‘design’ is no longer distinguishable from ‘tech,’ someday, design might not need Maeda’s 50-page reports to extol its virtues.” I agree!
áccent’s Anna Savina summarizes, “Designers’ role will be to support the social conscience of the product.”
Designer of the Design in Tech Report, Fatimah Kabba, tells the story of how the report came to be. And she also provides useful advice on how to make a report.
An executive summary of the main points of the Design in Tech Report are up on LinkedIn Pulse if you’re looking for an as-simple-as-possible format.
View the 2016 Design in Tech Report which framed the three kinds of design you need to know about to be successful in tech today.
View the inaugural 2015 Design In Tech Report which has received over 1M cumulative views to date, and was one of SlideShare’s Best of 2015.